In "The Sailing Capital of North Carolina," coastal real estate is set amid the Neuse and Bay
Rivers and numerous creeks that intertwine through the towns. Needless-to-say, we have
more than our fair share of waterfront property. North Carolina is home to a quaint fishing
village called Oriental, which has long been known by sailors as the halfway point between
New York and Florida when traveling along the Intracoastal Waterway. With only 875
residents and over 2,700 boats, it's obvious how Oriental earned its title.
Quiet with a distinctive down home charm, Pamlico County holds its place in history as one
of the first settlements discovered in the New World. In fact, land records detailing grants
from the King of England to local residents of the day are still on record. With warm coastal
breezes, mild year round temperatures and welcoming smiles, you won't find a more relaxed
way of life in North Carolina.
Waterfront Properties In Pamlico County
Oriental, North Carolina - Coastal real estate in Oriental is graced with picturesque creeks and
a number of full-service marinas. Fishing trawlers touring the waters for a fresh catch
of shrimp, crab or fish are a common sight. You'll also marvel at the rainbow of colors
displayed by numerous sailboats as they cruise the local waters. Along Broad Street, in
downtown Oriental, you'll find restaurants, an art gallery, a cultural center, grocery and
health food stores, a medical center and restaurants among other shops and businesses.
As you stroll along, you'll also find something unheard of in larger cities: people here wave
and actually say, "Hello." It would be our pleasure to personally show you Oriental, North
Carolina. Waterfront properties are plentiful. Contact us today to schedule a personalized
tour of Oriental and the surrounding area.
Minnesott Beach, North Carolina - Waterfront properties along the shores of the Neuse River
are a picture perfect setting of traditional Americana. Originally developed in the 1920s as a
resort area, homes in Minnesott Beach are well established with large trees and beautiful
lawns. Home to the area's only golf course, this quaint town also hosts several riverfront
summer camps for children and youth. Join us for a tour of waterfront property in North
Carolina. Contact us today for an appointment.
Vandemere, North Carolina - Vandemere is an active fishing and farming community that is
also popular with duck hunters. With a name taken from both Dutch and French words,
Vandemere literally means "village by the sea." When looking for waterfront property in
North Carolina, Vandemere offers beautiful waterscapes, balmy breezes and sunrises
Mother Nature can be proud of! Contact us today for a personalized list.
Award-Winning Towns, Central Location
Oriental, North Carolina was voted as one of the Best Places to Live on the Coast by CNN
Money. In addition, is was named one of Southeastern Retirement's Top Ten North Carolina
Towns to Retire to. This award-winning town is located within a two to two and a half hour
drive from New Bern, Greenville, Raleigh, Jacksonville and Wilmington. Because of its
central location, Pamlico County puts you within easy reach of larger cities while maintaining
its low key appeal.
From hometown parades to peaceful tree-lined streets and waves lapping the shore, Pamlico
County just feels like home. As new residents often say, "We weren't born here, but we got
here as fast as we could.
Pamlico County was named for Pamlico Sound, which in turn was named for an Indian tribe
that once inhabited the northern fringes of the county. Perhaps four to five hundred Indians
occupied the area during the time of exploration and early settlement. Belonging mainly to
the Algonquians, the tribes were the Pamlico, Neuse, Bay River, Coree and possibly the
Secotan, Pamouick, Tuscarora and Woccon. Until the smallpox hit them around 1686, the
Pamlico were the most numerous.
The Pamlico Sound provided an entry point for the English explorers who “discovered” the
area in the late 1500s -- some have theorized that the ships of Sir Walter Raleigh’s first
expedition may have touched the shores of Pamlico County in 1584 or 1585. But their large
vessels found the shallow sound difficult to navigate, so settlement didn’t begin in earnest
for another century. The first permanent European settlers arrived in the early 1700s. At
Nottingham Point near Arapahoe, the earliest known gravestone in the county is dated 1745.
But historians know the area was settled long before that. Land records still exist of grants
made by the King of England to colonial farmers and many residents can trace their roots
back to those days.
Initial relations between European settlers and Indians were good. As more settlers made
their home at the mouths of rivers and creeks and along the Neuse and Pamlico Rivers,
tensions increased and resulted in the Tuscarora War of 1711-1713. This war saw four tribes
unite against the encroaching settlers. The tribes were defeated and by the middle
of the 18th century no distinct tribes remained in the area. Colonization forged ahead and,
in 1872, Pamlico County was formed from parts of Beaufort and Craven counties.
During the “Golden Era of Piracy” Edward Teach, more commonly known as “Blackbeard,”
is said to have sailed these waters before he died in 1718. Local lore has it that some of his
treasure was buried under “Teach’s Oak” at the point in Green Creek where Smith Creek
The county is largely bordered by water with Goose Creek and the Pamlico River on the
north; the Upper Broad Creek forms the county’s western boundary with Craven County;
Pamlico Sound lies to the east; and the Neuse River to the south. All this water has a
moderating effect on the climate.
Average annual temperature: 62 degrees.
January average: 45 degrees.
June average: 80 degrees (with about 40 days a year when the temperature exceeds 90).
Average annual rainfall: 50” per year and a mean relative humidity of 75%.
Average snow: Perhaps one snowfall a year with about 2’ and a good excuse to stay home
County wide: Approx. 13,000
The area now known as Pamlico County was formed in 1872 from parts of Beaufort and
Craven counties. Pamlico County is a destination for those who love wide-open spaces and
soothing expanses of water. As a matter of fact, it is made up of about 340 square miles of
land and about 225 square miles of water.
Agriculture & Manufacturing
Primary farm production in Pamlico County consists of corn, soybeans, wheat, potatoes,
cotton and forestry. Seafood processing and marine services account for most of the
manufacturing output of the county.
Estimates vary, but as much as 10% of Pamlico County’s total population is directly or
indirectly involved in the commercial fishing industry. Some common seafood manufactured
and harvested in Pamlico County are Flounder, Grouper, King Mackerel, Sea Bass, Sea Trout,
Spanish Mackerel, Striped Bass, Croaker, Blue Fish, Red Drums, Black Drum,
Mullets, Catfish, Common Eel, Crabs (Blue hard and soft), Shrimp (Brown, Pink, White and
Rock), Conchs, Octopus, Oysters, Sea Scallops and Squid.
Settled in 1890s and named for the Farmers Alliance Movement.
Arapahoe was first known as “Cross Roads.” The name was later changed to “Arapahoe” -
some say it was named after the Indians and others after a racehorse of the same name. The
Corsa Indians lived at Core Point near the mouth of the Pamlico River and blazed the trail
that became the first road to Wilkerson’s Point. This community was settled early in the 18th
century, not long after New Bern (which settled in 1710). Arapahoe’s post office was
established in 1886. The town was incorporated in 1920.
Bayboro was named for the Bay River and settled long before it was incorporated in 1881.
It’s the oldest incorporated town in the county and was the first to have town water. It
became the county seat in 1876. The following year, the courthouse was relocated here
from Stonewall. Although narrow, the Bay River is navigable all the way to the town.
Hobucken & Lowland
“Goose Creek Island” was formerly part of Beaufort County. In 1874, Hobucken and Lowland
citizens voted to become part of Pamlico County. Around 1900, a post office was established
for the area. The island is a magnet for fishermen and duck hunters and is home to a unit of
the U.S. Coast Guard, which is located on the Intracoastal Waterway.
Developed as resort area on the Neuse River by the Hardison family after World War 1, the
town’s name is derived from an Indian word said to mean, "land of sky-tinted water.” Older
residents remember it as a community that flourished on the shores of the Neuse in the
1920s. Today, it is home to many retired military families and a place where younger visitors
come to enjoy one of its several riverfront summer camps. The areas only golf course is
North Carolina boasts one of the largest ferry systems in the United States. The NC Ferry
Division operates 21 vessels, one dredge and numerous support vessels. There are 7 routes in
the system. The shortest crossing is between Minnesott Beach (pictured above) and Cherry
Branch (2.3 miles, 20 minutes) and the longest is between Swan Quarter and Ocracoke Island
(27 miles, 2.5 hours). Ferries operate at an average speed of 10 knots.
The ferries can operate in as little as five feet of water.
Oriental is nestled amid five creeks along the Neuse River and connected to the Intracoastal
Waterway via a 10-foot deep channel. The United States Post Office Department established
a post office here back in 1886. Lou Midyette was named postmaster of what was then known
as Smith’s Creek. But his wife thought the village needed a better name. She had found the
nameplate from the sunken ship "Oriental" on the beaches of the Outer Banks (other stories
say she just saw it in a Manteo home - but either way the name "Oriental" made an impression
on her). The Town of Oriental was officially incorporated in 1899. Today, with more power
and sailboats in residence than people, it has earned its reputation as being “The Sailing
Capitol of North Carolina.” Online at http://www.visitoriental.com.
No one seems to know how Reeslboro got its name, but it seems likely that it was named for
the Reel families. Reelsboro is situated in a very sandy area. Before the hard surfaced roads
were built, cars had to wind (or perhaps “reel”) around to keep from getting stuck in it! When
the railroad came to Pamlico County, one of the stops was named “Reelsboro.” Its post office
was established in 1891.
Stonewall was incorporated in 1870 when it was still part of Craven County. Citizens first
wished to name the town “Jackson” for the owner of a local mill. But since there was already a
town with that name in North Carolina, “Stonewall” was selected -- presumably in honor of
General T. J. “Stonewall” Jackson. It was home to Pamlico County’s first post office, which
was established after the Civil War, and the original site of the county courthouse before it
was moved to Bayboro.
At one time, the Indian village of ”Secotan” was located here. Later, it was renamed by the
wife of a former Union Army surgeon who settled here in the 1870s. Its new name was
derived from the words “van” (the Dutch word for “village”) and De Mere” (French for “by the
sea”). Vandemere is situated on a point where Vandemere Creek flows into the Bay River.
It was incorporated in 1874 and was the county seat from 1872 (when Pamlico County was
formed) to 1876. Online at http://www.pamlico-nc.com/vandemere
More about the Inner Banks
Copyright © All rights reserved by North Carolina Coastal Properties LLC